A Note From Cheryl
During the month of April we celebrate National Volunteer Week, April 10 – 16, 2011. This year’s theme is “Celebrating People in Action,” and is a call to action for Americans to volunteer and to inspire by example. Millions of Americans volunteer throughout this week and demonstrate the positive community impact that individuals, families, businesses and organizations can create year-round.
Caitlin’s Smiles is blessed with hundreds of individuals and groups who volunteer on a regular basis. We are truly powered by passionate volunteers; all concerned about giving hospitalized children hope, laughs and smiles. We celebrate our volunteers in action! They do a wide variety of volunteer work ranging from hospital drop-offs, donation pickups, office work, craft kit assembly, fundraising, managing and directing our vision, accounting, public relations, etc. Meet a few of our volunteers below who were nominated for this year’s United Way Volunteer of the Year Award:
Carol Koppenhaver is our “go-to” woman! She performs many tasks and is always available when we are in a pinch. Carol tracks the delivery of our Bags of Smiles and craft kits. She contacts merchants requesting donations for our silent auction fundraisers. She and her husband travel to pick up large donations and makes hospital deliveries. She staffs displays and fundraisers, assembles our Bags of Smiles, leads craft nights and gathers friends at her home to make up craft kits.
Patty Callais is one of our craft night leaders. She gives the office tour, presents programs on Caitlin’s Smiles and leads the craft kit assembly or hospital order packing for the evening. She works with a wide variety of groups: HACC Business Club, East Shore Kiwanis Club, local Key clubs, girl scouts, Loysville Youth Detention Center, church groups, etc. She also volunteers to help with special events such as our annual Spaghetti Dinner/Square Dance, Saturday Smiles at Harrisburg Mall, and is on call anytime something comes up!
Charles and Lenchen Radle faithfully serve Caitlin’s Smiles every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for two to three hours each day – they are our “Dynamic Duo!” They even take homework to work on in the evenings. Lenchen is our primary “Bag of Smiles” assembler – she puts our arts and crafts bags for hospitalized children together. Charles is our Mr. Fix-It and jack-of-all-trades. No matter what needs to be done, Charles will do it.
The Dauphin County Juvenile Probation Office, spearheaded by Probation Officer Kija Waithe, has been volunteering for Caitlin’s Smiles for the past three years. Kija and her co-workers bring the students they work with to Caitlin’s Smiles Craft Nights to make craft kits for hospitalized children. They also help out with special events such as the Wendy’s Fundraisers and the Saturday Smiles at the mall. The probation officers work with the students to get their required service hours, and they do a great job!
Thanks to all of you for all your hard work and efforts in helping us send smiles across the miles! Hugs to all!
Founder & Director
• April 9 - Caitlin's Smiles Carnival (Noon – 4 pm), New Hope Church, 584 Colonial Club Dr., Harrisburg.
• April 10 – DVCHC Women’s All Star Game
• April 14 - Craft Assembly Night (6-8 pm), Caitlin’s Smiles office, Harrisburg.
• April 15 – RACCy Olympics
• April 19 – Wendy’s Fun-Raiser (5-8 pm), Union Deposit Rd., Harrisburg.
• April 20 - Craft Assembly Night (6:30 - 8:30 pm), Caitlin’s Smiles office, Harrisburg.
• April 27 – Girl’s Night Out, Multi-vendor open house at Caitlin’s Smiles (4 – 8 pm). See all your favorite home show vendors in one place! Free admission with crayons or coloring book. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• April 28 - Craft Assembly Night (6 - 8 pm), Caitlin’s Smiles office, Harrisburg.
• April 30 – Spaghetti Dinner, Silent Auction & Square Dance, Zion Lutheran Church, Dauphin, dinner is 3 – 6, dance is 7 – 10:30 pm.
• May 7 – Annual Caitlin’s Smiles Yard Sale and Kitchen, Zion Lutheran Chruch, Dauphin, PA.
• May 14 – Walk for a Healthy Community
Thank Yous For This Month
We received your donation this week and it was absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing these great items with us!
Carol A. Fees
Child Life Support Associate
Penn State Children's Hospital
Thanks to you and your volunteers for the wonderful donations.
Pat Boerger, BA Social Worker, Cerebral Palsy and Spina Bifida Clinics
Hershey Medical Center
Craft Assembly Night
Thursday, April 14, 2011 6-8PM
Craft Assembly Night
Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:30-8:30PM
Share With A Friend
Share this email with a friend.
Creating the opportunity to make other children smile is Caitlin's legacy.
Become A Volunteer
It doesn't take a lot to make a big difference in a child's life. Become one of our volunteers today. Join now!
Make A Donation
Help a child smile today by donating to Caitlin's Smiles through PayPal. Thanks for your support.